Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Friends-making with dry subjects

The Language Instinct: How the Mind Creates Language (Perennial Classics) The Language Instinct: How the Mind Creates Language by Steven Pinker

Finally got the chance to put the link of the book here. It seems Pinker is in a mission to make the dry parts of the language science, like syntax, morphology and phonology juicier in three consecutive chapters (4,5,6).

As an NNS (non-native speaker) the word "cognoscenti" has captured my attention;so has the word: "curmudgeonly". I love encountering interesting words like these. Still I wonder if the native speakers can pronounce the first one correctly? Most probably yes.

I wonder how a second language learner's brain works around the rules of morphemes and sound production. I need to find some literature on that. I am so inquisitive about it.


No comments: