Monday, December 01, 2008

The elephant in the dark

How Languages Are Learned (Oxford Handbooks for Language Teachers S.) How Languages Are Learned by Patsy Lightbown





It is mainly an academic book and useful to have a quick brush up on theories of language learning as it does not go much into the details but provides excellent list of books on the areas mentioned for further reading.

So I only needed to know the theories of the second language learning for two reasons:
1) For my own curiosity as a second and third language learner and 2)To have a better idea and plan for how I want my book to look like. It definitely would not look like any thing like these sort of books. It would be mostly about my experience as a learner peppered with some relevant theories. So I started reading it from page 38 after having reviewed the first part through the list of the contents.

As I was reading the different theories, it sounded like all the theoreticians were standing in the same dark room with an elephant, each touching and discovering one part of it using their intuition. Being a successful language learner myself, I could clearly see the significance of each of these theories in my learning.

No comments: